Tuesday, June 24, 2014

10 Tidbits to Help Us Get to Know Each Other

The internet is a big place. That's pretty obvious. The vastness is one of the biggest pulls for people like me, there is literally no end to things I can learn and discover on this thing. The sense of annonymity that comes with it is also a huge draw, but let's be honest, we all need to feel connected to other people and I always want to know more about the people I read from. So here's 10 somewhat interesting things that I think everyone should know about me.

1) I live in Washington state, in a small town about an hour from Seattle. I love living in a smaller, more rural setting. I've never been a city person and having traffic and people around all of the time sends me into panic-mode. Eventually, I'm hoping to move even farther out from civilization eventually, but playing the rental game, you have to take what you can get. I love the trees and the mountains and the ocean here. I've lived in a few different regions of the United States, and the Pacific Northwest will always be home.

2) I am an introvert in every sense of the word. I recharge by quietly sitting and reading, writing, crocheting, or hanging out with dogs/cats/horses. I don't dislike people, but social contact in general is exhausting and I can only take so much of it every day. Since my job involves a lot of working with people, at the end of the day I usually want nothing other than to curl up on the sofa with a good book or a skein of fancy yarn.

3) Technology and I don't always get along. I can't tell you how many times I can't get something to work and after an hour of fighting with it, I had it to my husband and he pushes one button to fix it. I am the quintessential "Did you check to see if it was plugged in?" customer service call. Thankfully, I married someone who is really good at technology, so I feel aboslutely no need to change this.

4) I don't have children. This is not because I don't like children. I work with children every day and love (most) every minute of it. I say "most" because it's hard to love them when you're stuck in a traffic jam on I-5 and they're having a temper tantrum in the backseat. That's hardly every day though.

5) I do have an awful lot of animals. By some people's standards at least. I think I need a few more. But right now we're sitting pretty well at two large dogs, two cats, and a horse. I'm itching to get chickens, but I don't know how my landlord would feel about that.

6) I hate spending money and love trying to find ways to save it. I'm hardly an expert in frugality, but I'm learning quickly what systems work for me and what don't. Meal planning has saved us thousands, but I'm still not sure what good making my own windex is going to do, since I only buy about a bottle a year. Maybe that means I need to clean my house more often. I'm always looking for new and different ways to save a few bucks here or there and get really excited about finding creative ways to do without. And if I can try to make something myself intsead of buying it? I'm all over that.

7) I don't think there is anything more therapeutic than making bread. A good 10 minutes beating/kneading the dough is a great way to work out pent-up aggression after a long day. Plus, you get bread afterwards.

8) I'm not very good at gardening, but I'm trying to get better. I got one edible cucumber last year, and three inedible tomatoes. This year it looks like my peas might be doing well, but I don't know about any of the other vegetables. My thumb isn't quite green, but I'm determined to fake it until is because there is nothing quite like fresh produce.

9) I'm a bit of a geek. My father and I spent years bonding over Star Trek: The Next Generation, and a love bordering on obsession with Dr. Who, Firefly, and all things fantasy is one of the biggest things that my husband and I have in common. I'm not a gamer though. I play the occasional video game, but I'm very bad at it, so I refuse to play with my husband, who is beyond intense on the subject.

10) My biggest passions in life lie in horses and crocheting, thus the title of this blog. My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 8 and I've been riding and training sport horses for 16 years. This is an attempt to chronicle that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment